The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) on Monday took to action by demolishing a multimillion naira duplex that was constructed on plot 226 in Wuse Zone 6, an area not approved for construction.
This occurred shortly after Barrister Nyesome Wike, the new Minister of the FCT, assumed office. The Minister had previously indicated his intention to demolish structures built in unauthorized locations.
Mr. Mukhtar Gidado, the Director of the Department of Development Control, stated that the demolished building was erected in violation of warnings and regulations.
The department had conducted a thorough investigation to determine the true owner of the plot, as there were conflicting claims from various parties involved.
He added that investigation revealed that the developer was not the owner of the plot, adding, “that is why we had to remove the building.”
According to him, the FCT Administration will not consider the status of any defaulting developer once development rules and regulations are violated.
Gidado said: “We demolished the duplex because somebody built on someone else’s land without valid title and building plan approval.
“We allowed the building to this stage before demolishing it because we had to follow all due processes.”
The director said that the supposed owner of the building was served all the notices to stop work, saying, “but being a disobedient developer, he continued without heeding to the notices.
“After our investigation, we have ascertained the rightful allottee of the plot, so we have to remove the building.
“We are going to consult the legal department to know the next action against the developer.”