Here is today’s Summary from Nigeria newspapers:
1. The Federal Government yesterday said the Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, and his running mate, Datti Baba-Ahmed, risked being prosecuted for treason over some of their utterances over the February 25 presidential election. The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed gave the warning in Washington, United States on Tuesday.
2. The Rivers State Police Command on Tuesday invited the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Tonye Cole, for questioning over the death of a Peoples Democratic Party’s supporter who was allegedly shot during a protest in Port Harcourt on Monday.
3. The House of Representatives has called for tight security in and around airports across the country for better protection of lives and property of air passengers. The call followed the unanimous adoption of a motion of urgent public importance moved by a member, Jide Jimoh, at plenary on Tuesday.
4. The candidate of the Labour Party in the February 25 presidential election, Peter Obi, has said the campaign he ran prior to the 2023 general election was not based on ethnicity or religion. Obi said this in a statement he signed on Tuesday in reaction to allegations attributed to the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed.
5. President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the Executive Vice Chairman (EVC) of the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI), Prof. Mohammed Sani Haruna, to immediately vacate his office. This is contained in a circular on Tuesday by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Mr. Boss Mustapha.
6. The people of Amuri Ancient kingdom, in Nkanu West Local Government Area of Enugu State, on Tuesday, invoked the spirit of their ancestors, to avenge the assassination of Oyibo Chukwu, the Labour Party candidate for Enugu East Senatorial District.
7. Former US President, Donald Trump, has been arrested on criminal charges. He was arrested on Tuesday ahead of his arraignment at the Manhattan Criminal Courthouse. Trump was later released after he pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.
8. About 10 students have been kidnaped by bandits in Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State. The Kaduna State Government said it received preliminary reports from security agencies on the kidnapping of the 10 students.